This homemade turmeric drink (tisane) is warming, spicy, aromatic and does not contain caffeine. Recommended to add a little fat to aid in digestion of turmeric’s health properties.
Homemade Spiced Turmeric Drink
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 2 inch piece of fresh turmeric root, peeled and chopped into ‘coins’
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 cinnamon stick, toasted
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1 star anise
- 5 whole cloves
- 3 green cardamom pods, crushed to release seeds
- I inch whole strip of orange peel
- 1 tbsp of honey or agave nectar
- 1 cup of coconut milk
Put the turmeric, ginger, cinnamon stick, peppercorn, star anise, cloves, cardamom and orange peel into a pan with 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until fragrant. Turn the heat to low and steep for additional 3-5 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in honey/agave.
Strain and discard solids.
Warm and froth the coconut milk, or other milk of your choice and gently pour into the tisane. Serve immediately.