Chickpeas rank among Hildegard’s highest rated foods. Along with mint or hyssop, this summer salad satisfies most any Hildegard diet. Learn more about the health benefits of chickpeas here.
Delightful, simply, cooling, and packed with easily digestible legume protein from the chickpeas, this salad is easily increased and is a cinch to prepare. Peppermint or hyssop release an intense freshness to the senses when consumed, as they possess powerful properties to assist in digestion and fight against infection.
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider or red wine vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 400 g (14 oz.) can of chickpeas, drained
- 125 g (4.5 oz.) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1.2 cucumber, seeded and chopped
- ½ red and / or yellow (bell) pepper, seeded and chopped
- 30 peppermint and / or hyssop leaves
In a medium bowl, mix together the olive oil, lemon juice and zest, vinegar, garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Toss together the chuickpeas, tomatoes, cucumber, (bell) pepper, onion, and peppermint leaves. Check the seasoning and correct if necessary.
Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for a while before serving.